Breast Implant Revision San Diego
Breast implants have come a long way since originally introduced in the 1960’s. Modern implants are more durable and well designed than ever before. They’re available in more sizes, shapes, and styles for your unique needs and preferences.
Although modern implants are bio-compatible (not rejected by the body), they’re mechanical, non-biological devices. They’re imperfect. A woman’s body adapts to implants, and implants conform to the space into which they’re placed. Sometimes, problems with implants develop. These problems may occur early after augmentation, or after many years. The woman’s breasts and body change over time. Often, implants that were perfect at the beginning need replacement for one reason or another. Common indications for changing or removing implants are:
- Size too small or size too large (desired change in size)
- Implant(s) too high or too low (malposition)
- Scar around implant causing it to change shape, change position, or feel firm (capsular contracture)
- Drooping (sagging) of breast and/or implants after weight gain, weight loss, or pregnancy with or without nursing
- Implant failure (rupture)
- Visible rippling or wrinkling of implant edge (visibility)
- Movement of implant and breast with chest muscle contraction (“animation”)
Because the situation and needs of each woman are unique, Dr. Laverson approaches breast implant revision individually: Existing problems or dissatisfaction must be significant enough to justify the cost and risk of revision surgery before proceeding. If there is a minor problem but the result is overall very good or excellent, it may not be wise to revise because the secondary result may not be better. If the implants are old, ruptured, firm, uncomfortable, and/or appear un-natural or not beautiful, it is probably worth revision and/or replacement. Although good long lasting results can never be guaranteed, Dr. Laverson will not advise revision surgery unless he is confident that your result will be improved.
See photos of breast implant revision HERE
Breasts normally change during the adult woman’s life. Implants that fit perfectly at age 22 may be too large, too small, too low, or in some other way incompatible by age 45